The history of astronomy at Alfred University
goes back to the year 1863, when the astronomer William A. Rogers ordered and donated a 9 inch
refractor made by the American optician Henry Fitz. This telescope was first housed in the Rogers
Observatory along with other instruments.
Sometime in the 1920's, with astronomy having been neglected at the University,
the observatory was torn down and the telescope mothballed.
It was very nearly lost and destroyed during this period, but in the late 1950's
its existence was made known to John Stull, a ceramic engineering Ph.D. who was teaching physics.
Over the next several years the telescope was used at several locations on campus,
put up and taken down each night.
Finally, in 1966 Professor John Stull and the University established the modern Stull
It serves as the cornerstone for the Astronomy Minor program, as well as the newly-developed
Astrophysics concentration in the Physics major at Alfred University.